Neil Nisperos, Staff Writer
Created: 02/11/2010 05:35:21 PM PST

CHINO – After approving $27 million in cuts last year, the Chino Valley Unified school board is about to face another $19 million in cuts to its three-year budget.

Superintendent Wayne Joseph’s proposed cuts, which will have to be approved by the school board, may result in about 65 full-time employees receiving layoff notices. The pink slips will mostly be sent to teachers.

“As you know, the board recently made budget reductions to the tune of $27 million and, at the time, we knew we might be back here because of different things going on with the state, and sure enough we’re back again,” Joseph said.

The cuts were announced Wednesday as part of Joseph’s budget proposal at a budget study session.

The recommendations “are not things we want to cut,” he said.

“But we’re in a situation where we have to cut … And we’re in a situation where we have to do things that before we would have never considered in times of plenty.”

Additional cuts include:

• Funding for visual and performing arts.

• Eliminating 12 elementary music teachers.

• Eliminating home-to-school transportation for students.

• Replacing three librarians with library techs.

• Increasing K-3 class size ratio from 25 students-per-teacher to 30-to-1.

• Eliminating the International Baccalaureate program, which places rigorous academic standards and encourages students to attend
college.

• Eliminating AVID (Advancement via individual determination), a college-preparatory program.

Don Lugo High principal Preston Carr said he was concerned about the possible loss of the AVID program.

“I think right away, we need to start having some discussions, some thinking out loud and find solutions because we definitely have some major challenges in front of us,” Carr said.

“At Don Lugo, I have 98 students coming into the program next year and that program is growing, so that’s a real concern to me.”

Joseph’s reduction list, which is available on the district Web site, does not include about $8 million in cuts that have not been released publicly.

District officials said jobs could be saved if concessions are made by labor unions, including the implementation of five furlough days for teachers, or a 2.8 percent pay cut. That concession could save about $6.8 million over two years, officials said.

Negotiable items also include class size increases in fourth through twelfth grades.